03 Nov 2021
Zaatar & Pine Nut Sauce with Crispy Onions
About this Sauce
- This sauce is primarily made with Zaatar, a scrumptious mix of thyme, sesame seeds and Sumac citrus berry, extra virgin olive oil and topped with dry roasted pine nuts and crispy onions for that extra nuttiness.
- It is the main ingredient for making Manaqeesh – the ubiquitous street food Levantine Pizza which is often topped with Akawi cheese - a Mozzarella style cheese..
- It is traditionally eaten with freshly baked bread for breakfast and accompanied with mint tea and is often seen topping Lebny strained yoghurt balls and enjoyed with a glass of good wine in the evening.
- It is renowned for use in Middle Eastern recipes to flavour pastries,omelettes, salads, and meat especially chicken.
- It makes an excellent filling for wraps and paninis especially when combined with Halloumi cheese and is delicious tucked snugly inside a camembert round before baking and devoured with garlic nan bread.